The Student News Site of North Star Academy College Preparatory High School

The Messenger

NSA Volleyball Gets Ready to Strike

Ahmad Hargrove, Sports Writer and Editor

April 4th, 2017 marks the beginning of another season for the North Star Academy Boys Volleyball team. The team hopes that this upcoming campaign will be a successful one, and a far cry from past ones. And given the recent success of other units of the NSA Sports Department, I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

The team will be led by junior standouts Ivan Mensah and Akeem Smart. Seniors Jonathan Guzman and Darius Martin will also be essential in the development and mentorship of the team’s underclassmen such as Christian Parham and Herbert Opoku.

Coaches Emelia Pelliccio and Joshua Yoo will lead the charge for the boys and will have high expectations for them. Whereas many teams would cower and implode when faced with lofty expectations, the team has embraced and even embraced them. In an interview with The Messenger, Pearce Bramao, junior and a member of the team, said that he expects, ¨(the team) to make the county tournament.” He continued  that anything less than that result would be considered a failure in his eyes.

Here’s a quick look at our boys practicing before the season:

Junior Antwan Jones corroborated those sentiments saying, ¨I truly think that we are good enough to compete with any team in the state. And I mean it!¨.

Though it would be easy to disregard these seemingly impossible to achieve aspirations, I would advise against doing so. After onlooking one of their practices, I must say; I was impressed. I’m no volleyball connoisseur or anything, but, if you ask me, they didn’t look too shabby too me.

In all, whether the Boys Volleyball team meets its high expectations, they were surely in for an interesting campaign.

A quick review:

Although they should be commended for their high confidence before the season, the Boys Volleyball team was hit with the harsh taste of the proverbial Humble Pie. The varsity team finished with a staggering 0-12 record this past season. This fell well short of the team’s great aspirations before the year.

However, thou shall not hang thou’s head. Despite the record, there were some positives to be taken away from the team’s performance. In the game away at Montclair Immaculate, the team scored a season high 16 points in the 2nd set. if the team, can have more consistent showings like this next season, a county tournament birth isn’t far off.

Another source of hope for a better future should be the play of our freshmen, sophomores and juniors. With Johnathan Guzman, Darius Martin and Muiz Yusuff all graduating this year, a larger role will be placed upon the shoulders of players returning next year. juniors Antwan Jones, Pearce Bramao and Akeem Smart, as well as freshmen Herbert Opoku and Nathan Campos will be counted on to replace the aforementioned seniors.