The Student News Site of North Star Academy College Preparatory High School

The Messenger

Kylie Jenner’s Legacy: Authentic Inspiration or Artificial Injection?

Zainab Adenaike, Staff Writer

Kylie Jenner has sparked major controversy regarding identity and racism. Particularly, she has been in the media since the age of 10 but never reached the level of attention that her other Kardashian sisters receive until her huge transformation from a young normal teen girl to an entirely different character. She has been constantly searched, discussed, and viewed in many aspects of social media. Originally, I was a little resistant to discuss this controversial issue on Kylie’s role as an exemplar for young girls everywhere, but later I realized how important it was due to the ubiquitous impacts she has had. Starting off, Kylie has influenced numerous different groups of people in different lights. Some have claimed that she’s the best role model of all time while others believe otherwise.

Despite the major controversy surrounding the young celebrity, many haven’t failed to follow in her footsteps – especially teenage girls. Those who praise Kylie for her actions claim that she has advocated for gay rights, started her own business at a young age, and even written her own book before the age of 21. According to Steph Grassullo, from Teen.com, “she has managed to do some pretty impressive and- dare we say it? -noble things.” Her numerous accomplishments have caused many people to talk about how she is “goals” for other young girls. On the contrary, others believe that her actions are repulsive due to the large age gap between her and her boyfriend, Tyga, her multiple plastic surgeries, and her sometimes inappropriate Snapchats. Caitlin Obren from Odyssey Online.com argues that “She has a rocky relationship and has never sent very positive messages in her beauty regime and career videos.” Many see her relationship as inappropriate also because of her boyfriend’s career and past, which includes numerous instances of wildly inappropriate and misogynistic behavior.

Though controversy surrounding the issue had been really high, Kylie has displayed some very questionable acts that many teens often fail to notice. Teen girls really only praise her because of her looks. However, she should most definitely not be considered a memorable figure because of her manipulation. She has constantly released content on the media that make her actions seem as if they should be emulated, though many fail to recognize the damage she’s done to the minds of young teenage girls.

Many teen girls don’t realize that trying to emulate Kylie would be degrading to who they are. For instance, “Kylie got lip injections (among other cosmetic procedures) and repeatedly lied about it. Fans wanted what she had, which inspired the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge. Girls started sucking on shot glasses to blow up their lips and some of them were injured as a result. Finally, Kylie fessed up but that hasn’t stopped young girls from emulating the look” according to Mode.com

The blowing up of her lips has caused numerous females to try to do the same and many teens have been beginning to feel self-conscious of their bodies. How can one hold someone up to high standards and desire to be them when they make girls fail to see that they are beautiful the way they are now and help them be comfortable in their own skin? She encourages this as well through the endorsement of her lip line. On her website, she describes, “Kylie Cosmetics℠ is a collection of products I created working with my amazing team in our lab to design the perfect ‘Kylie look’. I can’t wait to see how beautiful everyone is going to look.” She wants to give girls the “perfect Kylie look,” proving that she not only wants them to alter their appearance, but she is aware of the dominant standard of beauty.